Tuesday 3 February 2009

A Snowy Kind Of Social Anxiety

Today was a very good day for me which made quite a change, I went out and played in the snow with someone and had a great time! It was quite scary driving around in the conditions (roads were covered in ice, cars were literally skidding around corners) and there seemed to be plenty of mini accidents going on all over the place. We even had to help push someone’s car out of the snow, which was very amusing. A car went past and stopped and asked if we needed another hand, and then his car just skidded off the road and almost got stuck too! Its funny how the weather can bring much of the UK to a standstill, just shows how we are not used to getting any kind of snow.

I find its quite nice how the snow seems to bring people together at times, simple things like helping push someone out of some snow, generally talking to each other more about the snow, offering to help people who can’t get around to certain places, going out together to play in the snow, etc.

One of my worries recently when it started to snow was that I wouldn’t actually get to go and play in it. I know I sound like a bit of a baby or kid lol, but with the Social Anxiety its harder to just go out and play on your own or anything. I don’t really feel like I have any good friends at the moment, and so I wouldn’t have wanted to go out with any of them really. They actually rang me yesterday for the first time in ages and asked if I wanted to come out in the snow, and then they were like oh do you have a sledge we can use? Its as if they think I’m dumb or that I won’t mind them knowing that the only reason they’ve bothered ringing me is that they want a sledge to use :( So that annoyed me and I didn’t go out with them because of that, feels like they only ever bother with me when they want something from me or when they need extra numbers because there’s no-one else around or something.

So in an ideal world I would just not bother seeing them again but its hard because I don’t really have any other friends (they are all friends with each other and so if I stop seeing one of them I stop seeing the whole group). A normal person might try and seek out new friends but I find this extra hard due to the Social Anxiety Disorder. I think its quite hard for young men to find themselves friends really, I mean if you were to try being friendly/chatty to a guy they will probably think you’re weird/gay/desperate/mental. I guess I would fall in the mental bracket, lol :(
Anyway I had fun playing in the snow and had a good day in general! So lets hope the snow stays for as long as possible :D

No comments:

Post a Comment