Tuesday 10 February 2009

Coping With Social Anxiety Disorder

Today was a very good day for me, I think mainly because I kept myself busy pretty much all day and haven’t really had much time to think or anything. Usually when I’m bored I become restless and slightly depressed, I think this is to do with the Social Anxiety Disorder making me feel a bit suffocated. Also I think I think too much – I think about things in my head such as a previous social event or experience, and I will always focus on the negatives. I never really seem to remember positives, so this is something that I’m going to try and concentrate on more – remembering the good things in life and forgetting the bad!

Anyway back to my day – it was one of the first days in ages that I didn’t actually use the computer (until late in the evening), which is something I was quite proud of 8-) (I think I spend way too much time on the Internet sometimes).

My time was spent doing various mushroom related activities – and nope, not magical ones before you ask ;) I’ve recently become interested in growing mushrooms to eat – quite a strange hobby I know, but I find it very enjoyable and interesting. I think its good to have a hobby, especially if you suffer from a health condition like Social Anxiety Disorder. It helps to give you something to do, to occupy your mind with, to learn about, etc etc.

I actually feel pretty exhausted as well from being on my feet doing work for the majority of the day, something which I’m not really used to! With my work I’m mainly just sat at the computer for the day so its nice to be going to bed feeling tired out – I find it much easier to sleep when I feel this way. I’m quite certain that this is both a mental and physical response – you’ve had a long day and you’ve done lots of work so you feel happy in yourself and so you find it easier to sleep. And of course you are physically tired out and so you will find it far more relaxing being in bed.

Tomorrow I’m playing football in the evening but will have a little more work to do, both with my hobby and with my actual proper work! I’ve also tried to promise to myself that I will actually get down and start filing out the Social Anxiety Workbook that I recently purchased from Amazon (link is on the right hand side somewhere).

Oh and I’ve also added some polls and things on the site, so feel free to vote! At the moment I’ve kept it pretty simple and am asking if you think you may have Social Anxiety Disorder. I’m guessing that the majority of the people that visit my blog will have it though, anyway will report back my findings in a few weeks time.

No comments:

Post a Comment