Wednesday 28 January 2009

More About Me And Social Anxiety Disorder

Just thought I’d give a bit more information about me and about Social Anxiety Disorder in this, the second (proper) post of my blog.

When I found out about SA, I kind of felt a bit relieved that it was actually a condition. I mean, it is curable and it wasn’t just something that I felt I had imagined – the feelings that I have are actually real, and they are caused by SA (which is something that is caused by me, I guess, due to my thoughts and thinkings).

One of the things that I’ve come to realise is that the majority of people I know with SA seem to be unable to pinpoint a moment in their life when they felt that they were suddenly struck with a sudden shyness, or with SA. I think its just one of those things that develops and some people can manage to shake it off whilst others seem unable to do so, and seem to get progressively worse. I myself can’t think of a time where I felt I suddenly turned extremely shy, or unhappy, but I think that generally I was happy and not so self-conscious when I was around 13 years old. I don’t think anything inparticular brought it on, I think I’m just a quite naturally shy person in general, and that SA has kind of developed from my shyness.

Anyway, today I just did some work (I am self-employed and work from home, which is very handy for me, considering my SA) and watched some TV, not very exciting I know. I have had “normal” jobs before, but quit a few and was laid off another time which was out of my hands really. After I was laid off I started to work from home on my computer, and this is still what I do today. I know of some SA people who feel they can’t go out and get a job, so I feel lucky that I can do what I do. I do realise that its all too easy to get into a kind of comfort zone though, so I try to push myself to go out more and not just work all the time, which would suit my SA.

Hopefully I’ll start uploading some links to some more useful SA resources that I’ve found recently, such as getting over social anxiety books and websites :)

No comments:

Post a Comment